We all know we need more of it, no matter whether we’re in the depths of self-loathing or soaring high and loving life.
Self-love is a fundamental, life-giving need just like food, water and oxygen. And like those more tangible requirements, we need to nourish ourselves with it regularly. An act of self-love is not something we can complete, tick off a list and move on.
Like parents putting their oxygen mask on first in an emergency, we need to fill our own cup before we can truly share our love. Every day we need to top up our supply so that we can continue to pour out love for others. sure, we may not fill ourselves to the brim every day but we need to make sure our cup is never completely empty.
Our brain loves to remind us of all the reasons of why we are not lovable, not worthy, not enough. That mean little voice an be very persuasive, carving deep grooves into our neural pathways.
One way to counteract that chatter is to invite in kinder thoughts by taking inspiration from the words of others. I’ve collected 10 inspiring quotes to help you ignite and nurture your own self-love.
Choose ones that have meaning for you. Pin them. Save them and place them on your mirror, your desk, your purse, your phone lock screen… somewhere you’ll see them regularly and remind yourself of just how wonderful, worthy and enough you are.
I hope you find one or more that sparks a little joy in your heart. Do you have a favourite you could share with us?
1. Be gentle with yourself. You’re doing the best you can from HeartMadeArts
2. Put yourself at the top of your to-do list from Mind Body Green
3. It’s not what you say to to everyone else… from Marc and Angel
4. Her life changed the day she learned she was just as valuable as everyone else from Healthy Place
5. In a society that profits from your self doubt, liking yourself is a rebellious act from Healthy Place.
6. You alone are enough. You have nothing to prove to anybody by Maya Angelou via The Daily Quotes
7. And I said to my body, softly. I want to be your friend by Nayyirah Waheed via Your Beautiful Life
8. Embrace the glorious mess that you are by Elizabeth Gilbert via Inner Compass Designs
9. Eat like you love yourself. Move like you love yourself from Ambitious Kitchen
10. Self-care is not selfish. You cannot serve from an empty vessel by Eleanor Brownn via Calm Down